Today in History: November 30 – Electricity in Buffalo!

Buffalo 1876-1900 Posts

On November 30, 1886, the first commercially-operated alternating current central station in the US starts service in Buffalo, NY.

The generator, located in the Brush Electrical Plant on Wilkeson street, supplied power to the Adam, Meldrum, and Anderson department store on Main street. AM&A’s was the first business in the city to use electric lights.

Adam, Meldrum, Adams, AM&As Historic Photo
AM&A’s at 396 Main Street in Buffalo. Courtesy: preservation ready.org.

Read more about the early electrification of Buffalo.

Related Posts

Buffalo in Film: “Buffalo Police on Parade&#... William Heise filmed this scene in 1897 for Thomas Edison's film company. The Edison film company catalog simply describes the film as: "A street scen...
Niagara Falls Geology This 1917 diagram from the New York State Archives shows "a section of brink of Niagara Falls showing the arrangement of hard and soft strat...
Today in History: December 30 – The Burning ... On December 30, 1813, the British burned the village of Buffalo. Thirteen villagers were killed, and all but three of the original 150 buildings were ...
Who Was Annie Edson Taylor? (Part 1) Fig. 1: Rare portrait of Annie Edson Taylor (c. 1901).   Fig. 2: Annie Edson Taylor posing with her famous barrel after her trip over the Hor...