Westminster Community House

Historic Buffalo

Westminster Community House

Westminster Community House was established on Buffalo’s East Side in 1894, the second settlement house in the United States. The women of Westminster held their first Linen Sale in 1899 for the purpose of raising funds for the work of Westminster House. In the years which followed, substantial monies were raised by the Linen Sale for the support of a wide range of mission work at home and abroad. In 1920 the acquisition of a camp at Angola given in memory of Marion Clement Taner made it possible to provide outdoor experiences at the lakeshore to the children of the Community House neighborhood.
— From Westminster Buffalo, “A History of Westminster: 1854-1994”

Westminster House - Story Hour

Fig. 1: “Story Hour: Marion Humble telling stories” (c.1890s), Westminster House, Buffalo, NY.