Buffalo Savings Bank Buffalo Savings Bank was chartered in 1846. It was the first savings bank in the city of Buffalo. From 1846 to 1852, the bank was located in a small, rented office on the corner of Main Street and Erie.1 In 1852, the bank moved to a four-story brick building on Main Street,…
- Richard C. Brown and Bob Watson, “Buffalo Savings Bank,” Buffalo: Lake City in Niagara Land (Windsor: Windsor Publications, 1981), 268-269.
Fig. 1: Buffalo Savings Bank (1897), Buffalo, NY. From Illustrated History of the United Trades and Labor Council of Erie County. Available at Google Books.
Fig. 2: The Old Court House, Eagle Hose House No. 2, and at right, Surrogate’s Office (c. before 1876). Buffalo, NY. From: Frank H. Severance, ed., Picture Book of Earlier Buffalo (Buffalo: Buffalo Historical Society, 1912), 147. Available at Google Books.
Fig. 3: Lafayette Square, Public Library, and [Soldier’s & Sailor’s] Monument, Buffalo, NY (before 1922), postcard, Buffalo, NY.
Fig. 4: Buffalo Savings Bank (c. 1901), postcard, Main and Genesee streets, Buffalo, NY.
Fig. 5: Buffalo Savings Bank (1990), painting by Dr. V. Roger Lalli. Courtesy City of Buffalo Art Collection.
Brown, Richard C. and Bob Watson, “Buffalo Savings Bank,” Buffalo: Lake City in Niagara Land. Windsor: Windsor Publications, 1981.