Adam, Meldrum, Adams, AM&As Historic Photo

Today in History: November 30 – Electricity in Buffalo!

On November 30, 1886, the first commercially-operated alternating current central station in the US starts service in Buffalo, NY. The generator, located in the Brush Electrical Plant on Wilkeson street, supplied power to the Adam, Meldrum, and Anderson department store on Main street. AM&A’s was the first business in the city to use electric lights. Read more…

Historic Buffalo Police on Parade Film 1897

Buffalo in Film: “Buffalo Police on Parade” (1897)

William Heise filmed this scene in 1897 for Thomas Edison’s film company. The Edison film company catalog simply describes the film as: “A street scene showing parade of the entire Buffalo Police Department, 16 men abreast, with military band”. Source: Library of Congress

Westminster Community House

Westminster Community House Westminster Community House was established on Buffalo’s East Side in 1894, the second settlement house in the United States. The women of Westminster held their first Linen Sale in 1899 for the purpose of raising funds for the work of Westminster House. In the years which followed, substantial monies were raised by…

Buffalo Savings Bank

Buffalo Savings Bank Buffalo Savings Bank was chartered in 1846. It was the first savings bank in the city of Buffalo. From 1846 to 1852, the bank was located in a small, rented office on the corner of Main Street and Erie.1 In 1852, the bank moved to a four-story brick building on Main Street,…

Phoenix Hotel

Phoenix Hotel The Phoenix Hotel building was built in 18161 by Oziel Smith2 on the east side of Main Street, between Broadway and Mohawk. It was located at 361 to 365 Main Street, on the former site of the house belonging to Mrs. Lovejoy,3 who died during the burning of Buffalo in 1813, and directly…