Buffalo Savings Bank Buffalo Savings Bank was chartered in 1846. It was the first savings bank in the city of Buffalo. From 1846 to 1852, the bank was located in a small, rented office on the corner of Main Street and Erie.1 In 1852, the bank moved to a four-story brick building on Main Street,…
Phoenix Hotel The Phoenix Hotel building was built in 18161 by Oziel Smith2 on the east side of Main Street, between Broadway and Mohawk. It was located at 361 to 365 Main Street, on the former site of the house belonging to Mrs. Lovejoy,3 who died during the burning of Buffalo in 1813, and directly…
- Richard C. Brown and Bob Watson, “Buffalo Savings Bank,” Buffalo: Lake City in Niagara Land (Windsor: Windsor Publications, 1981), 268-269.
Fig. 1: Buffalo Savings Bank (1897), Buffalo, NY. From Illustrated History of the United Trades and Labor Council of Erie County. Available at Google Books.
Fig. 2: The Old Court House, Eagle Hose House No. 2, and at right, Surrogate’s Office (c. before 1876). Buffalo, NY. From: Frank H. Severance, ed., Picture Book of Earlier Buffalo (Buffalo: Buffalo Historical Society, 1912), 147. Available at Google Books.
Fig. 3: Lafayette Square, Public Library, and [Soldier’s & Sailor’s] Monument, Buffalo, NY (before 1922), postcard, Buffalo, NY.
Fig. 4: Buffalo Savings Bank (c. 1901), postcard, Main and Genesee streets, Buffalo, NY.
Fig. 5: Buffalo Savings Bank (1990), painting by Dr. V. Roger Lalli. Courtesy City of Buffalo Art Collection.
Brown, Richard C. and Bob Watson, “Buffalo Savings Bank,” Buffalo: Lake City in Niagara Land. Windsor: Windsor Publications, 1981.