Buffalo Savings Bank
Buffalo Savings Bank was chartered in 1846. It was the first savings bank in the city of Buffalo. From 1846 to 1852, the bank was located in a small, rented office on the corner of Main Street and Erie.1
In 1852, the bank moved to a four-story brick building on Main Street, north of Court Street. The building was destroyed by fire on January 25, 1865. Fortunately, the bank’s vault and its contents were saved.2
On May 1, 1867, the bank moved to a two-story brownstone on the corner of Washington and Broadway.3 The building was demolished in 1922.
In 1901, the bank moved to a new building on Main Street and Genesee. The golden-domed Beaux-Arts building has become one of Buffalo’s signature landmarks.
Buffalo Savings Bank History – Richard C. Brown and Bob Watson, courtesy buffaloah.com.
Buffalo Savings Bank – Hilary Sternberg and R. Steven Janke, courtesy buffaloah.com.